I have just finished work on our custom pinball machine “America’s Most Haunted” which has entered production and started shipping. You can read more about it here. I’ll also make a large, in-depth article about it on this site once I get a chance.
I’ve been working non-stop on this game, The Ben Heck Show, and other commissioned work since mid 2012. It’s time for a break.
I’m going to be limiting my non-show commission work to 8 billable hours per week for the foreseeable future. This includes single-handed controllers, prototype work for companies and individuals, basically anything outside of our show. If you’d like to contact me about a project you may do so at email@example.com. Keep in mind that this time allotment will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
The automatic Paypal links for the single handed controllers will be coming down during this time as well. If you’re still in need of a controller, please contact me via email. I will probably spin the production of those back up in time for the holidays. I know there’s a great need for them, but there is also a great need, personally, for my sanity.
- I had the wrong file linked to Episode 80 of the podcast – sorry about that! You can find the corrected version here.
- We are still doing our best to release a podcast once a month, time permitting.
- You can of course keep really up to date with what we’re up to on The Ben Heck Show, follow me on Twitter, or visit my YouTube channel using the links on the right side of this page.
- We’ll be at Maker Faire San Mateo next weekend filming an episode of our show – stop and say hi and we might give you a t-shirt!
- I will be attending the Northwest Pinball Show in Tacoma this June. Ask me anything you’d like about our new pinball machine!
- Good chance I’ll also attend California Extreme and there might be an America’s Most Haunted machine there as well. More info as it becomes available.
printrbotGO and a Companion Cube. Click for larger version
I just can’t stop building portable 3D printers! Check out my new printrbotGO – an all new design in collaboration with printrbot.com
The goal here was to create an interesting, functional, sturdy design and then have it be available pre-built or as a kit. This is the first prototype and will be demonstrated at World Maker Faire New York weekend of September 28th – 30th.
- Printrboard electronics, steppers, pulleys, extruders and hot ends (all existing commodity parts from one source)
- Print size 200mm x 185mm x 150mm. Not sure why I lost that 15mm on the Y axis, will probably have that at 200 as well in the future.
- Runs off a wall wart power brick or internal Li-Polymer batteries. We estimate 2 hours print time in PLA.
- Folds up to a size of 19″ x 14.5″ x 5.5″ – can fit in a plane’s overhead bin.
- Much smaller “deployed” footprint than my previous models.
For lots of build photos and more details, click below!
Continue reading printrbotGO
I love coming up with solutions for not-terribly-obvious problems, such as how it’s really difficult to put Saran wrap around a half-eaten can of Spam.
So after several attempts to get the fit “just right” I have created the Spam-Saver Lid, which you can download and 3D print from Thingiverse! Happy printing and good eats!
Have you ever wanted to email a famous person, or an internet-famous one like me? Or perhaps you need to contact a company about a product, service, job opening or your charity / event?
Well, you’re in luck! In this article we discuss how to format your email and, more importantly, how not to format it. Read on!
Continue reading How To Email a Famous Person
After 5 years of having the same theme, I’ve finally updated my site. I’m still putting in functionality, but here are some key new features:
- Services section. The end goal is to have CNC and laser work be available to clients over the internet. So if you’ve got a project idea, we can help! I’m working on a very detailed tutorial to help you make the best files possible.
- Store. Common items such as Controller Monitors and accessibility mods can be found here. Also possibly kits in the future.
- Very comprehensive “Downloads” section. Free access to almost all of my classic designs and projects, right up to things as recent as “Lost” pinball.
- Live Shop Cam via Ustream. If we’re broadcasting, you’ll see it on the homepage.
And as usual, the forums are available as well. Have fun and I hope to add even more features soon!
It’s that time of year again! Time to listen to me ramble on about what I think will happen in the gaming industry. For this installment I mostly concentrate on new consoles since I feel this generation is already getting old, well the 360 and Wii at least. Other topics covered are the death of music games without a country savior, 3D games and the Microsoft Natal.
Here it is, enjoy!
Just got back from the Infinite Bits convention – it was a great show and I was glad to join them, thanks everyone!
However, I have noticed that by flying somewhat frequently but not constantly I can see a tangible decrease in service every time. As such, I have prepared this photo montage which pretty much sums up the experience as it stands now…
Continue reading Fly the Friendly Skies!
In lieu of a new Benheck.com podcast (don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about it) you can check out an interview I did with PCmag by clicking the link below:
PC Mag Interview
I was probably soldering during the interview, but I believe I was attentive… enjoy!
In my continued efforts to put IKEA out of business, I present “Super Work Bench 2009″
As usual, it’s designed to fit in a specific room. For more pics and a rundown of the features (a piece of wood with features, that’s right, only on Benheck.com) click below.
Continue reading Super Work Bench 2009