As many of you know I grew up during the 80’s and spent a lot of time with the fun 8-bit computers of those days. One of my favorites was the Apple IIgs, and when someone requested I build a portable version of it I jumped at the chance.
A custom-built Apple IIgs laptop. Click for larger version, suitable for framing.
Some quick specs:
- Large 15″ color screen. Much bigger than the ones on my other 8-bit computer projects (thus far)
- Uses an original Apple IIgs motherboard with RAM expansion.
- Custom acrylic keyboard. It uses the original keyboard PCB, but the buttons were custom made for a cool modern look.
- CompactFlash adapter inside unit functions as an original equipment hard drive.
- Glowing backlit “][” logo. Blue for on, with a bit of yellow during disk access.
- Built-in stereo speakers.
- Side port access for floppy drive, joystick and mouse.
- Can play Arkanoid II!
For more photos and details, see below. I’ll post a Making Of story in the near future… in the meantime you can also watch this amazing demo video I put together:
(Note: Music was the most “frolic-ey” that I could find)
Please note, as usual, this is a one-time custom project and thus I will not be making any more of these. It is a one-of-a-kind single project. But I am always open to new modding requests if you’d like to drop me an email. Variety is the spice of life!