I recently obtained one of the auctioned cartridges from the Atari Landfill dig and was able to get it working again with about 2 hours of work.
Read how I fixed it by clicking here!
Three day weekend? What’s that?
- Improved ball launch timing when locking shots to start Demon Battle (the Wizard Mode)
- Fixed Shot Randomizer so it won’t pick same shot twice (that wouldn’t make sense)
- Tweaked move time to about 5 seconds per shot. You have to hit 6 moving shots to beat the demon. So it’s like the AFM Super Jackpot, times 6. Nobody ever said this game was going to be easy!
- Need to implement correct FAIL condition for Wizard mode. If you fail out, it’s re-lit on next ball.
- Improved strobe shot lighting for Demon Shots.
- Improving cabinet color transition for Demon Mode
- Making wizard mode really, REALLY difficult (if you can even get to it in the first place!)
- Fixed demon mode so it fails properly. Guess I didn’t really fix it since I’m only just now testing it…
Have a few hours today to work on code. Starting to debug Wizard Mode, so it can ship with the game.
- Improved timing for Demon Ball release. He sends all 4 balls at you simultaneously (or as close as I can get it)
- Need to implement the “actual magnet ball trap check” for shot #2 of Demon Mode, like the start of Haunted Bar has.
- Need to find reason display sometimes locks up while showing the score
Had a fairly easy to film episode this week so I have time today to tweak more pinball code! Plan is to get Demon Mode in the game this weekend (yes, working Easter Sunday) in case the game shows up at any events in the near future, wink wink!
- Continuing “Tilt Testing” – making sure no matter what mode is occuring, if a TILT occurs the game comes out of mode clean, and resets properly for the next ball.
- Found glitch where Spooky Door might not close at beginning of War Fort mode (needs to be closed to hide the Confederate Gold!)
- Improved timing of events during Theater Ghost’s play.
- Rigged game so Spirit Guide won’t award an Extra Ball on Ball One (that’s just too generous!)
- Changing TILT to give you 2 warnings, and the 3rd offense per ball triggers TILT.
- Some modes with “Quick Restart” will have to be started over if you TILT during them, other modes where it’s not a programming issue will allow a quick restart of mode after TILT (as it would with a ball drain)
- Allow Quick Restart after TILT: Theater, War Fort, Hotel, Prison.
- No Quick Restart after TILT: Hospital, Haunted Bar (they modes with a timed Quick Restart after you lose a ball)
- TILT acts like a drain + ball search: waits until all balls back in trough before continuing.
- Found glitch where Hotel mode doesn’t properly end if you Tilt during Hotel Multiball.
- Found glitch where new Scoop Eject animation sometimes erases flashing Camera Icon (scoop is used in some modes as a target)
- Improving animation for Scoop Eject caused glitch where uncollected Tour Location icons would stay lit after mode ends (you fix a problem, create 2 more… ug)
- Put a tourClear() function on each Ghost Mode end/fail, so Tour Location lights won’t interfere with combos / scoop indicators (rare, but Hotel mode showed it was possible)
- Fixed positioning of “Total EVP Collected” numeral, it was in wrong position from back in the 2 bit shading days.
- Fixed priority so First EVP Waveform video isn’t overridden by Boss Jackpot Value advance.
- Found some videos during War Fort that prevented small numbers (such as Confederate Gold Timer) from being displayed. Changed attributes on videos to allow these numbers.
- If multiball active, you can keep hitting War Fort ghost until down to one ball. Added prompt for “Hit Ghost for Jackpots” instead of “X hits to go” in this condition.
- Improved synchronization of Ball Throw animation + ghost movement + ball release in War Fort mode.
- Put in over-compensating kludge so that the War Fort / Bar ghost prompt animations won’t get overridden by continued pop bumper action (that’s been an issue FOREVER!)
- Disabled tilt when ball is in shoot lane / trying to get a skill shot. Tilt won’t trigger until you’ve launched the ball, and either gotten / missed the skill shot (so nudge away?)
- If Extra Ball lit when starting Photo Hunt, don’t use that shot as a Ghost Photo location.
Stuff to do yet:
- Make it so ghost ONLY moves if you have a mode going. This way, you have to EARN getting him to move (also, saves wear & tear)
- Connect Demon Mode dialog with the existing Wizard Mode
- Make way for a player’s progress to be reset if they beat Wizard Mode and start over
- Come up with a cool video mode (I don’t like video modes but other people do – whatever)
After a busy couple of years we’ve finally brought back the Legendary Benheck.com Podcast! You can check it out, along with all back episodes, by clicking here.
Subscribe to Benheck.com Podcast via iTunes
My idea of a “Steam Box”
Last winter I built several projects for AMD to highlight their new line of APU’s (Accelerated Processing Units) which are combination CPU’s and graphics card on a single die.
Most of the projects used concepts from AMD, but for one showcase item I got to build “whatever I wanted” so I took a crack at my rendition of a living room PC that could function as a “Steam Box”. Please note this isn’t associated with Steam/Valve, rather it’s my own concept of how a living room “Steam Box” could be put together.
Click below to see the making of!
Continue reading Ben Heck “Steam Box” Concept with AMD APU